WordPress is the world’s most popular CMS and for good reason – It’s easy to use, super customisable and because it’s open source, there’s a huge community of developers constantly working on new themes and functionality. One of the biggest reasons that people love WordPress is because of its huge library of plugins.
Plugins let you do everything from adding social media icons to your site to optimising it for SEO purposes. With this in mind, below are some of the best WordPress plugins for new sites in key areas.
- WordPress SEO by Yoast – What’s so great about Yoast is that it enables you to optimise every part of your posts quickly and intuitively. There’s no need for any technical knowledge at all. You simply set a target keyword phrase and then Yoast will tell you exactly what parts of your content need to be changed in order
- Simple URLs – Simple URLs enables you to create and track outbound links from your site incredibly easily. This is excellent for SEO savvy site owners, especially since outbound links are now such a vital part of SEO.
- Jetpack – The Jetpack plugin is something that all new WordPress users are encouraged to use. It brings a lot of extra functionality to your site, including the ability to add social media icons to your sidebar.
- Shareaholic – Shareaholic is an excellent plugin since not only does it enable you to add social sharing icons but it also encourages users to stay on your site by displaying related content and recommendations.
- Contact Form 7 – Contact Form 7 is an extremely popular plugin with WordPress users, with approximately 16 million downloads to date. It allows you to create fully customisable contact forms and change their appearance to match the style of your website.
- Custom Contact Forms – Custom Contact Forms is an excellent alternative to Contact Form 7 and enables you to customise every aspect of your contact forms, from the padding and margins to the colours and backgrounds.